Sullivan County, NY Residents No Longer “Exempt” from Energy Tax
On July 23, 2020, the Sullivan County NY Legislature unanimously removed the residential exemption on the 4% sales and use “energy” tax that has been assessed since 1975. The exemption is slated to be in effect as of September 1, 2020. What does that mean for homeowners? Plan on seeing increased costs on your fuel delivery and electricity bills this upcoming heating season, and until at least February 28, 2023 when the previous exemption is supposed to be reinstated.
Energy Tax FAQs:
- What is the Energy Tax? It is a 4% sales and use tax imposed on local electricity and heating oil delivery bills.
- When does this tax go into effect for residential property owners and customers? The tax is effective September 1, 2020.
- Why was the residential exemption removed? According to the Energy Tax Fact Sheet, Sullivan County is seeking alternative means to make up for lost revenue from the impacts of COVID-19, without having to increase property taxes, cut programs or resort to additional layoffs.
- How long will this tax be in effect for? The residential exemption will go back into effect on February 8, 2023.
- What products/services will this tax be imposed on? The 4% Energy Tax will be imposed on every electric bill after September 1, 2020, and will also apply to all retail sales/use receipts on heating oil purchased and delivered in Sullivan County including natural gas, propane, wood (including wood pellets), biofuel, kerosene, electricity, steam, coal, and oil (excluding highway diesel motor fuel).
For more information about the Energy Tax, please feel free to download a copy of the Energy Tax Fact Sheet or visit the Sullivan County, NY website at www.sullivanny.us
Planning ahead for fuel bills makes sense!
With the unavoidable upcoming price increase in fuel oil delivery bills, now is the perfect time to take advantage our AO Budget Plan if you aren’t already doing so!
Avoid fuel bill sticker shock with the AO Budget Plan from Advantage Oil. Our convenient payment plan allows fuel oil customers to spread big heating bills out over a 12 month period. With AOBP, we calculate your estimated consumption and determine your monthly payment amount based on how much fuel you’ve typically used in the past, then divide the total into 12 equal monthly payments. AO Budget Plans are adjusted quarterly to make sure you are paying the lowest possible monthly payment.
No matter how much fuel you use – even if it’s two deliveries a month – you’ll still get the same low monthly bill.
Couple your budget plan with automatic delivery, and gain peace of mind knowing your monthly bill will remain constant and your tank will never be empty. Give us a call today at (570) 296-8585 to get started!